The handprint on the wall



Yesterday was a crazy day as usual.  I fulfilled my duties (I actually say that with joy not sarcasm) of shuttle bus driver, teacher, homeschool mom, business owner and food provider.  In between the crazy moments came a moment alone with that cute dude above...my only son...my Finn.  We were walking into his baseball tryouts, just the two of us, when he quickly pointed his finger towards the wall and said, "Finn!".  It was his handprint on the wall for being a "Kid with Character" back in the days when he attended public school.  The handprint looked so small.  So young.  So of course I had to have him put his hand on it. I'm mushy like that and clearly yearn for moments of teary eyes and sniffling noses.  He did.  He put his hand up to it and the handprint was indeed half the size of his current hand....time flies.

I'm really at an odd stage in parenting.  I've been heard often saying that I really have no idea what I'm doing right now.  When my kiddos were all sweet babes I knew what I was doing.  When they were toddlers I had no issues with my parenting.  When the kiddos creeped up to late single digits I had that covered.  Now?  Pre-teens....double digits....I'm clueless!  I literally feel like I am losing my mind on the daily.  So these small moments of remembrance...to a time when they were little and manageable, feel so tender.  And that guys smile doesn't hurt either.

So here's to moving onward and upward in this parenting journey as shortly I will be a parent to a TEENAGER as well.  Good Lord please help me (no really...that was actually a prayer!)

Comments

Popular Posts